Applications: Aerospace Course
OpenCFD is proud to present OpenFOAM training as part of the AIAA course offering. Online training takes place on 23-24 June 2021.
This 2 day course delivered by the official OpenFOAM Development and Release Authority introduces the open source CFD toolbox with a focus on aerospace external flow applications, AIAA accreditation, and 16-hours towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Learn OpenFOAM CFD Fundamentals for Aerospace with a combination of lectures and associated hands-on lab exercises
- Learn meshing in OpenFOAM
- Learn how to set up a case
- Small as well as more complex examples
- All students will receive an AIAA Certificate of Completion at the end of the course
- Learn how to download and install the official OpenFOAM release
- Use the built-in unstructured mesher snappyHexMesh and boundary layer controls
- Apply appropriate physics and boundary conditions for aerospace applications
- Hands-on exercise on a standard airfoil example using a RANS model
- Hands-on exercise with 3D geometry - full aircraft and wing with aileron
- New adjoint-shape optimization capabilities will be presented
- Familiarize yourself with the open-source software ParaView for post-processing
- Establish the basics of OpenFOAM knowledge, leading to more advanced application and programming
- The OpenFOAM software distribution and installation
- Background in the use of Linux/UNIX
- OpenFOAM applications
- Basic meshing
- Field initialisation and boundary conditions
- Selecting models and setting parameters
- Solution monitoring and control
- Advanced meshing with snappyHexMesh
- Mesh quality assessment
- Reynolds-averaged simulation for turbulence
- Post-processing tools and visualisation
- Running in parallel
- The finite volume method and PISO/SIMPLE/PIMPLE algorithms
- Best practices for solver and discretization selections
- Aerospace specific examples and cases
For registration please visit the AIAA online learning site.
Training will be provided online. Participants will have access to virtual classroom via GoToMeeting service (native application or web-browser and/or phone connection for audio) and training cloud access for hands-on exercises.
Electronic PDF handout is provided to registered participants via AIAA.
The language used in all OpenFOAM courses is English.
Training will take part on July 9-10 2020 from 10:30-19:30 (EST).
No prior knowledge of OpenFOAM, C++ or Linux is required. Basic knowledge of Linux command line operation is beneficial as well as viewing some of the online tutorials.