Applications: Aeroacoustics Course
This course covers Theoretical and Applied concepts in Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) using OpenFOAM, touching on progressive Multiphysics design challenges, e.g. Aero-Vibro-acoustics (AVA). The course organisers are leading experts in flow-noise source prediction, propagation and noise abatement in all engineering sectors including transportation (Automotive, Aerospace, Marine, Rail), energy, power generation, building environment and turbomachinery.
The training provides examples of process and best practice, which are useful to existing OpenFOAM users wishing to broaden their application knowledge of OpenFOAM towards Aeroacoustics, Hydroacoustics and Hydro/Aero-Vibroacoustics. All features demonstrated in this course are part of the Official release of OpenFOAM.
- Basics - aeroacoustics source and propagation mechanisms, including a shallow dive into classical theory
- Narrowband (tonal) and broadband flow noise
- Spatial and Temporal considerations (mesh and time-step)
- Turbulence and wall-modelling
- Steady-state: fast approximations of source mechanisms and ratings
- Surface based (shear-flow correlation)
- Volume based (Lilley-Proudman correlation)
- Appropriate physics modelling and boundary conditions for aeroacoustics
- Numerical control settings in OpenFOAM
- Pure acoustics in OpenFOAM?
- Spectral postprocessing using the built-in OpenFOAM point-based and surface-based temporal-Fourier analysis tools
- Noise Propagation to the far-field using acoustics analogies, e.g. Curle
- General hints and tips
- Insights into coupling with Acoustic propagation codes for acoustics and vibroacoustics using SEA, FEA and BEM.
- Hydroacoustics with OpenFOAM
- Acoustic damping of spurious CFD mechanisms
- Mesh-frequency cut-off
- Fan/propeller noise sources
- Wavenumber-frequency analysis, including free-access to a test license of the AVA module in VA One
- Separation of turbulent flow and acoustic aeroacoustics sources mechanisms
- Discussions around compressible, incompressible and artificial-compressibility in CFD
OpenCFD delivers this virtual course via your laptop’s web connection. Running any operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac OS), linked using secure ssh connection and remote desktop via VNC, you are given a secure personal login to ESI Cloud to run all OpenFOAM training exercises. Audio-visual link to the Trainer is made through a web-meeting.
We provide high-quality printed manuals covering all course material. The manuals are A5-bound and are posted in advance to the trainee.
Please note: registration and payment must be completed 10 days in advance of the training dates to allow enough time for shipping.
The language used in all OpenFOAM courses is English. Translations or delivery in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages are available on request.
1 day: Delivery times are suitable for attendees in EMEA time zones (Europe, Middle East and Africa). Delivery in other time-zones can be arranged on request, please contact us for details.
This Aeroacoustics course is suitable for existing users of OpenFOAM seeking to broaden their application knowledge, background knowledge and CFD best practice knowledge for CFD noise prediction.
Prior knowledge of OpenFOAM, C++, Linux via the Foundation course is beneficial.