External aerodynamics with AIAA
OpenCFD is proud to present OpenFOAM training as part of the AIAA course offering.
The training takes place on 24-25 May 2022. The training is fully online and in US time zone. Register here.
This course introduces some advanced topics of the open-source CFD toolbox, OpenFOAM. It concentrates on the topics important for external aerodynamics computations. Among others are especially advanced meshing techniques for quality near-wall prismatic mesh layers, turbulence modelling and wall functions, DES and LES modelling, drag and lift prediction and post-processing, near-wall post-processing, blended discretization, and other numerical stabilization.
An experienced trainer from OpenCFD – the company delivering the official distribution of OpenFOAM every 6 months - will be presenting practical training based on the latest release. Training is based on a mixture of lectures and hands-on exploring simple applications run on a cloud computer.
- Geometry preparation for meshing
- Meshing with snappyHexMesh - advanced chapters
- Near-wall layer building in snappyHexMesh
- Mesh quality visualisation
- Turbulence models: RANS, LES, DES, DDES
- Field initialization and boundary conditions for incompressible and compressible flows
- Best practice for selecting models and setting parameters
- Set up on-the-fly post-processing to calculate drag and lift coefficients
- Solution monitoring and control
- Running in parallel; steady state and transient
- Flow field interrogation
- Cp, total pressure and Cp total calculation
- Drag development plot along the geometry
- Iso-surface of total pressure zero
- Creating animations for transient simulation
To register to this course, you should have already some experience with OpenFOAM. We will explore advanced topics and not explaining basics of OpenFOAM setup.